To place an order for a custom designed cake please send me an email at vicki@gergely.com or view my website at www.sweetsatlast.com.

Friday, May 21, 2010

The Force Was With Me
















I just got done delivering a 3-D cake. The theme was from Star Wars The Clone Wars. I made chocolate butter cakes (quite a few of them) and some milk chocolate pastry cream along with chocolate butter cream. The bottom layer was quite easy although I was not achieving the colors I had wanted (dark blue and black swirled together). Eventually I settled on the blue/green and when swirled with the black I thought it looked pretty neat.

The top of the cake was modeled after Captain Rex. Anyone who has a young son should be familiar with the Captain Rex voice changing helmet that was almost hard to come by this past Christmas. With that as my guide (almost made me nervous as if it was watching me) I carved away the six layers of cake, put on a crumb coat and called it a night. Normally I like to finish a cake the night before delivery and then just put some finishing touches on them right before. However --- you live and you learn.......I decided to fill my cakes with pastry cream. So good and delicious and SO WRONG for a cake that needs to be covered in fondant. Fortunately I did my home work on the subject matter and waited until two hours before delivery time to cover the cake. It certainly didn't help that it was 80 degrees today - so not a typical day for us here on Long Island in May but never-the-less work had to get done.

To go along with the cake I made some fondant/gum paste figures: Yoda, R2D2 and some droid. I'll have to ask Jack, the happy birthday boy, to see what exactly the name of that droid was. I'm a big star wars fan but not so much into the clone wars.

As always, I had fun doing this cake. Staying up late (since I have to wait for all the kids to be asleep before I can even begin working on anything) and squeezing in fondant fun while the baby naps certainly does make to a complete day.

I hope you enjoy - and contact me if you're interested in a cake ---- or anything sweet for that matter: vicki@gergely.com.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Vicki,

    What a beautiful cake for Alexis' birthday! You are an artist.

    This was interesting to me as I tried to order a custom graduation cake for Laura from a woman who makes special pastries from her home. Alas, she was booked, so I had to find one elsewhere. It was remarkable how many people knew this baker by word-of-mouth. Judging by your first cakes, you are likely to enjoy a similar reputation. I will look forward to reading more!

    Carol in Michigan

    ReplyDelete